Those first moments after a car accident are nerve racking. Whether you were in a severe accident or just a minor fender bender, it’s important that you know what to do in the event of a collision. The Lopes Law Firm is here to help. Once you’ve been involved in an accident, follow these guidelines to ensure that everything is handled in the correct manner.
- In the event of an accident, stay calm. It’s easy to lose your head in the midst of a collision. By staying calm, it’s easier to remember what you should do and make wise decisions.
- Check for injuries and call for help. Following an accident, check yourself for injuries. If you seem to be okay, check your passengers and those in the other car. Call an ambulance if necessary.
- Investigate the cars. If the damage is minor, move them out of the road and to a safe area. If the damage is severe, leave them where they are and turn on your hazard lights.
- Call the police. No matter how major or minor, call the police as soon as an accident occurs. This ensures that everything is documented correctly and prevents legal issues in the future.
- Make notes about the accident. Take pictures of the damage done to your car, street signs, injuries, and anything else that is noteworthy. Jot down witness information and anything else that could be important later on.
These basic tips ensure that those crucial moments following a car accident are handled correctly. If you have been the victim of a car accident or have questions about a collision, hiring a personal injury lawyer is your best course of action. Contact The Lopes Law Firm today to discover how we can help your case.